10 rebel surrenderees in Palawan get livelihood assistance from government




The 10 rebel returnees with Governor Jose Alvarez (7th from left) of Palawan, Col. Robert Velasco (8th from left) of WESCOM, and Gail AblaƱa of PSWDO (1st from right) on December 21 at the Provincial Capitol Building. (Photo courtesy of WESCOM


 Manila, Philippines – Ten members of the New People’s Army (NPA) who returned and surrendered to the government received livelihood assistance worth P25, 000 each.


The said cash amount came from the provincial government’s Local Social Integration Program (LSIP) of Puerto Princesa, Palawan.


On Tuesday, Governor Jose Alvarez together with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Command (WESCOM) awarded the assistance to the surrenderees. 


A simple ceremony at the Governor’s Office at the Capitol last December 21 was held for the awarding.


These former insurgents surrendered in September, following the conduct of focused civil and military operations, Southern part of Palawan – in particular. And of the beneficiaries, three were women.


 “I left the revolutionary movement for quite some time now. I surrendered as I want to clear my name because I was told I am in the military’s order of battle. Without surrendering, I still feel I am not free to roam around. I constantly worry about my safety,” says Rico Libuta who surrendered in July and a former member of NPA rebels


So far, 26 more former NPA members who surrendered are being processed by the WESCOM and the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office, They will also receive the same livelihood assistance.



Sometime in August, eleven rebel returnees also received financial assistance from Palawan provincial government. Each of them received P15, 000.

Gov. Alvarez giving out checks to former NPA beneficiaries in August (photo from PNA)



source: PNA





Post a Comment

0 Comments